Journals & Conferences
Engagement Scholarship Consortium (ESC) Conference (early October)
International Service-Learning Summit (late October)
Imagining America: Arts & Scholars in Public Life (mid-October)
Continuums of Service (Campus Compact) April 6-7, 2017
2016 Lynton Colloquium on the Scholarship of Engagement (TBD)
National Service-Learning Conference: National Youth Leadership Council (Washington, D.C., TBD)
2016 Gulf-South Summit on Service-Learning and Civic Engagement through Higher Education (mid-April)
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health 14th Annual Conference (mid-May)
2016 NASPA Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement (CLDE) Conference (June)
2016 Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (late-October)
International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement
The International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement is a peer-reviewed online journal dedicated to disseminating of high quality research focused on service-learning, campus-community engagement, and the promotion of active and effective citizenship through education.
The journal is international in scope, with an interest in service-learning and community engagement both in the US and around the world. The Journal also aims to be comprehensive in its approach, with an interest in articles on service-learning and community engagement in a variety of settings, including K-12 education, higher education (undergraduate and graduate) and community-based programs.
IJRSLCE is multi-disciplinary, drawing on existing literature and contributions from a variety of fields (education, developmental psychology, political science, sociology and others) and open to well-designed research using both quantitative and qualitative methods. Finally, the Journal is rigorous. The focus is on high quality research and scholarship aimed at expanding our understanding of service-learning and community engagement by providing an outlet for new research, discussions of the theoretical bases of civic learning, and critical reviews of the emerging knowledge base.
The Journal is published by the International Association for Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement, but submissions are open to all researchers and scholars interested in the field. The journal is published annually.
Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship
The Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship (JCES) is a peer-reviewed international journal through which faculty, staff, students, and community partners disseminate scholarly works. The JCES integrates teaching, research, and community engagement in all disciplines, addressing critical problems identified through a community-participatory process. The editors and editorial board strive to make the JCES a leading journal of community engagement scholarship, one that is read, comprehended, and appreciated by both professional scholars and lay people. Board reviewers are supplemented by a diverse range of additional reviewers, including community partners and students, approved by the editor. The JCES is published by the Division of Community Affairs of the University of Alabama.
Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning
The MJCSL is a national, peer-reviewed journal for college and university faculty and administrators, with an editorial board of faculty from many academic disciplines and professional fields at the University of Michigan and other U.S. higher education institutions. MJCSL goals include: growing the community and deepening the practice of service-learning educators, campus-community partnership practitioners, and community-engaged scholars; sustaining and developing the intellectual vigor of those in this community; encouraging scholarship related to community-engagement; and contributing to the academic/scholarly legitimacy of this work. Contributing authors represent a wide range of academic disciplines and professions.
International Undergraduate Journal for Service-Learning, Leadership, and Social Change
The Journal only accepts articles from undergraduate students. The Journal considers three types of articles:
- Articles that discuss the development of a service-learning project and the impact of the project on the community served;
- A case study of a service-learning project;
- A reflection on service-learning and the development of personal leadership.
Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement
The Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement (JHEOE) is a peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal for the advancement of theory and practice related to all forms of outreach and engagement between higher education institutions and communities. This includes highlighting innovative endeavors; critically examining emerging issues, trends, challenges, and opportunities; and reporting on studies of impact in the areas of public service, outreach, engagement, extension, engaged research, community-based research, community-based participatory research, action research, public scholarship, service-learning, and community service. The JHEOE is published by the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach, in partnership with the Institute of Higher Education and College of Education, of the University of Georgia.
Other Journals in the Field
The publications listed below include journals that focus on community-engaged scholarship, university outreach, service-learning, etc. A small number of others are listed that, while not focusing on this area, sometimes publish contributions to this literature.
- Adult Education and Development
- Australasian Journal of University-Community Engagement
- Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning
- Citizen Science: Theory and Practice
- Collaborative Anthropologies
- Community Development
- Community Development Journal
- Community Works Journal
- Education, Citizenship and Social Justice
- eJournal of Public Affairs
- Engaged Scholar Journal
- Gateways: International Journal of Community Research and Engagement
- Global Journal of Community Psychology Practice
- Innovative Higher Education
- Interdisciplinary Journal of Partnership Studies
- International Journal of Civic Engagement and Social Change
- International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering, and Social Entrepreneurship
- International Journal of Public Deliberation
- Journal for Civic Commitment
- Journal of Community Engagement and Higher Education
- Journal of Community Practice
- Journal of Cooperative Education and Internships
- Journal of Deliberative Mechanisms in Science
- Journal of Economic Development in Higher Education
- Journal of Extension
- Journal of Public Scholarship in Higher Education
- Journal of Service-Learning in Higher Education
- Metropolitan Universities
- Partnerships: A Journal of Service-Learning & Civic Engagement
- Prism: A Journal of Regional Engagement
- Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action
- Public: A Journal of Imagining America
- Reflections: A Journal of Public Rhetoric, Civic Writing, and Service-Learning
- Review of Higher Education
- Revista Conexão UEPG
- Science Education and Civic Engagement: An International Journal
- UNBOUND: Reinventing Higher Education
- Undergraduate Journal of Service Learning and Community-Based Research